Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Larimer County Birding 2/28

I spent 4 hours looking for interesting birds before I had to go to work. The first two hours was going around southeast Loveland area. I found a Cooper's Hawk on the west side of Cooper's Hawk. A Merlin at Lon Hagler Reservoir. Both of those were photographed.
                                                       Cooper's Hawk

                                                           Merlin

                                                            Merlin

At Dry Creek Reservoir there were a lot of geese and very few ducks. Looking through the geese I was able to find 2 'Taverner's' Cackling Geese and 1 Ross's X Cackling Goose Hybrid, which is the first time I have seen this hybrid combination. It was smaller than the 'Richardson's' Cackling Geese it was with with a mostly white head and a very small pink and black bill. Then after the first 2 hours I went to Lake Loveland and then Horseshoe Lake there were very few birds at both locations and all the gulls I saw were Ring-billed Gulls. I then was able to photograph a couple Bald Eagles at Donath Reservoir.
                                                       Bald Eagle

                                                        Bald Eagle

Duck Lake is finally getting some open water with about half the lake open and quite a few ducks were present including over 30 Canvasback. Kechter Pit had a lot of birds also, but still can't find anything of interest here. Timnath Reservoir had a turnover. I was not able to find the Tundra Swan, Long-tailed Duck, or Mountain Bluebirds. There were more small grebes present including 4 Eared Grebes. I also saw a number of Northern Shovelers of which I didn't have yesterday either. I didn't many interesting birds, but it was still exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment