Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pinewood Reservoir area and a few lakes 2/1

It was a great start to a new month with my first being a Bald Eagle flying low over my car just as the sun was peaking over the horizon. I was on my way to Tom Thompson's House to try for Northern Pygmy-Owl. On the way up the switchbacks going towards Pinewood Reservoir (use to be called Rattlesnake) I saw a group of little birds in a bush by the road. I knew this little flock of 18 could only be Bushtits (122).
                                                      Bushtit

A steep hike up the mountain from Tom Thompson's House looking for Northern Pygmy-Owl was unsuccessful. We did see a lot of birds and heard quite a few more. The best being 2 Brown Creepers and good numbers of all 3 nuthatches.
                                                    Brown Creeper

                                                    Brown Creeper

On the way back I decided to try playing a Pygmy-Owl tape to try to get one to respond at a couple good looking stops. Unsuccessful on the first stop, the second stop was unsuccessful also. About a quarter mile after the last stop I heard something out the window. Yes, that is a Northern Pygmy-Owl (123) calling. I heard American Robins and Steller's Jays going crazy about 100 yards in, but it was private property and I couldn't get the Northern Pygmy-Owl to come any closer. At least I got to hear one.
Horseshoe Reservoir was pretty slow when I was there at 2:00 PM. Only a handful of Ring-billed Gulls and not much else that I saw from the north end. I found out later that a 2nd year Iceland Gull was seen, which makes it a second bird than the one I had there a couple days ago. I also heard about a Long-tailed Duck in the SW side of the reservoir, guess I should have checked that side today, but will be there tomorrow.
Timnath Reservoir was a good spot this evening though. There was a lot of ducks to look at, although most of them was a long ways away. The best duck that I found was a female Barrow's Goldeneye (124). I can't even guess how many thousands of Common Goldeneyes I have studied closely so far this year before seeing this Barrow's. There were a few raptors around also with a Prairie Falcon shooting over the lake and a Sharp-shinned Hawk sitting in a tree overhanging the County Line Road getting it in both counties.

No comments:

Post a Comment