Monday, February 13, 2012

Third day to try for Varied Thrush 2/13

I joined Cheri Orwig today to try to find a life bird for her with a Varied Thrush. The best place to see one right now is driving up to Steve and Kathy Martin's house to try to see the bird I found there two days ago. We got there a little after 8 this morning. Just after 8:30 I heard a excited call of a bird and saw it drop out of a tree, this was the Varied Thrush and it gave a call I had never heard before, but I don't have much experience with this species. It took another 5 minutes to find the bird, but after we did we were able to watch it for 5 minutes in a small tree. I also got a decent picture of it, despite the bird being half way across the yard. 
                                                      Varied Thrush

We then decided to try to find Cheri another life bird, a Lapland Longspur. We went back to the Feedlot north of Wellington where I had several yesterday. Here we refound several large flocks of Horned Larks in the area which totaled more than 500 birds. We eventually got a great but brief view of a Lapland Longspur on the ground. We also watched and heard several more flying around. Unfortunately for the second day in a row I wasn't able to get any photographs of any. 

No comments:

Post a Comment