Monday, March 19, 2012

Loveland Sandhill Cranes plus Tree Swallows 3/19

I made a plan to go looking for Sandhill Cranes today before work. My plan was to check the Cattail Pond area and then go up to the Wellington area which is the best area I know of for Sandhill Cranes in Larimer County. I checked Lon Hagler Reservoir and found 3 Herring Gulls. As I was just pulling off the road at Bud Mielke Reservoir I saw 2 hawks flying in the distance. Just as I was identifying them as Red-tailed Hawks I saw 2 long legged birds flying behind them. I quickly pulled out my scope and they were indeed 2 Sandhill Cranes (142). I wasn't able to find anything else of interest in the Cattail Pond area. I decided against still going up to Wellington because of the wind.
Just before I got to work I made a quick stop at Kechter Pit. Just as I was pulling up I spotted 2 swallows flying around the area, which I was quickly able to identify as Tree Swallows (143). The only other birds of interest were 4 Hooded Mergansers that continue at that location.

No comments:

Post a Comment