Friday, March 23, 2012

Wellington Trip Including 2 More Year Birds 3/22

I decided to drive the 25 mile route that I made last year. I have decided to try to drive this route once a month this year. I found one area of about two miles that was loaded with birds. This area was just east of the Feed Lot north of Wellington. Here I was able to find over 9,000 Red-winged Blackbirds. With the Red-wings I saw at least 450 European Starlings, 5 Common Grackles, and 3 Yellow-headed Blackbirds (146). After the route I stopped at several lakes in the area. I was surprised with seeing Red-breasted Mergansers at almost every location. On the way back to Loveland I stopped by Kechter Pit. This location in still a hot spot. While looking through the Ring-billed and Herring Gulls I found a single Franklin's Gull (147). The last good bird of the day was the Trumpeter Swan still at Duck Lake. Unfortunately with all the driving I wasn't able to find anything rare or unusual, just a few species that that is starting to come back for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment