Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Winter Wren Chase 3/15

On my lunch break I again went to Timnath Reservoir. I wasn't able to find anything of interest though. The highlights included a couple butterflies (Mourning Cloak and some type of white, my thoughts are Western White), a Coyote, and some photographs of a Horned Lark.
                                                       Horned Lark

                                                       Horned Lark

After work I went to Prospect Ponds looking for a Winter Wren that Kevin Cook told me about. On my walk to the location I saw several Dark-eyed Juncos and Brewer's Blackbirds.
                                                   Brewer's Blackbird

The wren did not respond to playback at all, not coming in or calling back. I then saw several chickadees in the area and decided to play the mobbing tape that I have and the chickadees came in. After I stopped playing the tape I was able to hear an Eastern Screech-Owl responding from the far side on the Poudre River and what was that. Yes, indeed it is the Winter Wren (139) calling. I only heard it call about 4 or 5 times, but that is plenty to be sure it was a Winter Wren and not a Song Sparrow. I also got a couple pictures of the chickadees.
     
                                                 Black-capped Chickadee

                                                 Black-capped Chickadee

On the walk back out I was able to see several Killdeer in the area and also get a photo.
                                                          Killdeer

I checked out the Southwest Loveland area. Highlights included a Cinnamon Teal at Boedecker Reservoir, 3 Eared Grebes at Dry Creek Reservoir, and that was about it for the highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment