Friday, March 9, 2012

Trumpeter Swan, hybrid duck, and others 3/8

I checked several spots in southwest Loveland. Hertha Reservoir, Dry Creek Reservoir, and Lonetree Reservoir all had a handful of birds on them, but not many birds and nothing of interesting on the water. I was able to find a handful of landbirds at Dry Creek Reservoir, but the only birds of interest were 2 Spotted Towhees.
                                               Black-capped Chickadee

                                               Black-capped Chickadee

At Bonnell Drive Pond I saw 3 Great-tailed Grackles.
                                                Great-tailed Grackle

At Bud Mielke Reservoir the Golden Eagles are still on the nest. While scanning the many ducks on the water I was able to find a Hooded Merganser x Common Goldeneye Hybird and it was one of the neatest looking ducks I have seen. I also saw a Prairie Falcon flying over the reservoir.
                             Hooded Merganser x Common Goldeneye Hybrid

Cattail Pond also held lots of birds as did Ryan's Gulch Reservoir. At Cattail Pond there were no birds of interest. At Ryan's Gulch I found a Trumpeter Swan, perhaps the same bird that was wintering at Cattail Pond, but I haven't seen any swan in the area since February 9. Also, 4 Horned Grebes on the lake. Then on the way back home I stopped at the feeders on Nadine Ct. I didn't see anything of interest, except for a very light Eurasian Collared-Dove.
                                                     House Finch

                                               Eurasian Collared-Dove

On my way to work I was driving north on Namaqua Road when I heard a bird singing. The only thing I can think of on the species was a Sage Sparrow. I turned around and played a tape, but never heard or saw the bird again, so it was the one that got away. At Rist Benson Reservoir I found 8 Greater Scaup in with the many Lesser Scaup and Redhead.
Kechter Pit held a Lesser Black-backed Gull in the gull flock. Here there were a lot of ducks, but the only exciting bird was a Hooded Merganser. Five Great Blue Herons were standing on the nests in the large cottonwood. The flock of wintering Mourning Doves was still present in the trees across the road towards the west.
                                                   Mourning Dove

On the 6th I made a quick stop at Timnath I saw a lot of birds, but just like most locations recently I couldn't find anything of note. There were a lot of Horned Larks in the area and I was able to get some photos.
                                                   Horned Lark

                                                     Horned Lark

No comments:

Post a Comment