Friday, January 6, 2012

A Few More Birds at Timnath Reservoir - 1/6

During my lunch break today I went back to Timnath Reservoir for the third straight day. On my way into the park on the southwest side of the reservoir I refound a Say's Phoebe that has been hanging out in the area all winter. It was, however, the first time I have seen it in over a week, this means the first time this year, number 86 this year. At the reservoir the first two birds I looked at were first year Bald Eagles. Other than that there were lots of birds, but nothing rare. The most interesting was the increased numbers of Northern Pintails with numbers right around 40. I then started scanning the trees on the north side of the reservoir and found a large flock of American Crows as I was able to count 112 individuals and probably missed some. On the way over to the east side of the reservoir I stopped at the ditch I stooped at yesterday and saw the Great Blue Heron in the exact same spot as the day before. I turned left at the stop sign onto County Line Road and quickly found a large number of birds. There was Eurasian Collared-Doves, European Starlings, House Sparrows, and a flock of 32 Western Meadowlarks. The meadowlark was year bird number 87 for 2012. I searched the ice at the inlet and failed at refinding the Killdeer and the Rusty Bkackbirds. I also couldn't refind the Snow Bunting in the field it was in yesterday. It was a decent day for birds at the reservoir and it was great to get outside for a little while. Tomorrow before work I will be trying to see the Snowy Owl in Adams County before I go back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment