Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Winter Bluebirds 1/17

After a couple days of little birding and few birds of interest on times when I was able to get out.
Yesterday, I was able to see a single Killdeer on the ice in the outlet of Timnath Reservoir and an adult Northern Shrike yesterday during my lunch break, but for the most part it was a very slow day out there.
Here at my house in the country of southwest Loveland today I finally found the flock of bluebirds that have been around the area all winter. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any of the Mountain Bluebirds that was with the flock through most of December. The birds I was able to find was 2 Western Bluebirds (111) and a single Eastern Bluebird (112). They were at the southern end of our property and I was also able to hear both of them calling. According to ebird the Western Bluebird is new in January in Larimer County. My dad was able to see the Western Bluebirds on both Jan. 1 (on the day of the Loveland Christmas Bird Count) and he saw them again on Jan. 8. Unfortunately, I wasn't around either of those days to see them myself and I wasn't able to get any pictures of them today. Perhaps I will be able to another day.
I drove around the Cattail Pond area this afternoon. :Lon Hagler Reservoir had 3 female Bufflehead with very little open water. Cattail Pond had most of the usual, except the Trumpeter Swan was not there. Of note was 22 Canvasback on the little bit of open water along with a couple hundred other ducks. On the little bit of open water at Ryan's Gulch Reservoir also had a lot of birds, best being a pair of Hooded Mergansers.

No comments:

Post a Comment