Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rist Canyon 1/21

This morning Nick Komar, Skyler Bol, and I decided to do some birding around the Fort Collins area. Nick decided he wanted to go up Rist Canyon looking for Northern Pygmy-Owl. We were unsuccessful on that search, but came up with a number of other mountain species. Those includes Brown Creeper, Hairy Woodpecker, all 3 nuthatches, and a flyover 'Type 5' Red Crossbill. On our way out we came across a 'Harlan's' Red-tailed Hawk in the same location I saw a Northern Goshawk a couple weeks ago. A stop at the Red-bellied Woodpecker spot produced nothing of interest, but heard there has been a White-throated Sparrow around at this spot along with the Red-bellied Woodpecker.
Nick and Skyler had to drop me off at my car as I had to go get a haircut. On my way to south Loveland I stopped at Lake Loveland. There wasn't very many birds around, but there was a Bald Eagle eating a dead goose and in the flock of 25 gulls I was able to find 21 Ring-billed Gulls (20 adults and 1 1st winter), 2 adult Herring Gulls, and 2 adult Thayer's Gulls.
After my haircut on my way home I stopped by the Cattail Pond area. The only interesting birds I saw was a Cattail Pond, which included 1 continuing Trumpeter Swan, 1 continuing female Bufflehead, and a pair of Hooded Mergansers that moved to this location from Ryan's Gulch Reservoir.
Yesterday (1/20) the only birds of interest that I saw before going to work was an adult Sharp-shinned Hawk  and 2 Western Scrub-Jays at my house.

1 comment:

  1. We also saw the one female Bufflehead, we stopped by Lake Loveland but we only had 1 Herring Gull and 20 Ring-billed. Thanks for going birding with me and Nick it was really fun.

    ReplyDelete