Monday, January 23, 2012

Raptors On My Way To Work 1/23

I didn't do any birding today, but still ended up seeing a number of hawks and falcons on my drive to work. The first raptor I saw was an adult Bald Eagle flying over Highway 402 a half mile west of Wilson Avenue. Immediately after seeing the eagle I spotted a 'Prairie' Merlin (415) sitting on a roof of a house. This is the same location where I saw the Short-eared Owl a few weeks ago and a Northern Harrier last week.
I saw two American Kestrels in the first mile after I passed Highway 287 while on Highway 402. Then just as I was getting on I-25 I saw a dark phased Red-tailed Hawk sitting on a telephone post. Still on I-25 I saw another American Kestrel sitting on the top of a tree just before the Windsor exit. Another bird I saw was a 'Western' Red-tailed Hawk sitting in a large Cottonwood overlooking a pond at Kechter Pit (southwest corner of I-25 and Harmony). The last raptor of the day was a Red-tailed Hawk flying over I-25 towards me as I stood in the Timnath Walmart parking lot.

1 comment:

  1. Hay Cole. I'm Chris. Skyler introduced me to you when you were looking for the BULLOCK'S ORIOLE long ago. Brilliant blog. I love the photos you take of the birds. If you want to follow my blog you can go to catherton.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete