Saturday, January 7, 2012

Success 1/7

This morning Yoshi (my dog), my Mom, my Dad, and I got up early to go searching for the Snowy Owl that has been hanging out in Adams County just east of Barr Lake State Park.  When we got down there we got to the spot where one was seen yesterday and found a bunch of cars and birders scoping towards the east and quickly picked up on this adult bird. We stayed in the area for about 30 minutes while watching and photographing (trying anyways) the bird. While watching it through the scope I heard a Lapland Longspur flying around the field with the owl. Both Colorado year birds, but they don't count towards my Larimer County Big Year.
                                                                   Snowy Owl

I had left my car at a park and ride just off I-25 in Larimer County so I could head straight to work when we got back. While pulling up to the park and ride we saw a couple thousand geese in the field on the south side of the park and ride. While scanning all the Canada Geese I was able to find a hybrid Snow x Canada Goose, a Greater White-fronted Goose, and a Ross's Goose (year bird 88). On the way to get my car I saw a couple people in a truck drive by to look at the geese and it looked like a teacher I had in High School. I quickly got in my car and drove over to the goose flock and walked up to this person and it was, it was Tom Hewson. He was not only a teacher I had in High School, but he was the teacher that got me into this crazy hobby called Birding. I showed him the Hybrid goose and the Ross's Goose and even taught him the field marks to look for between Snow and Ross's. I hadn't seen my teacher in 8 years, which was the year after I graduated High School.
I then had to rush to work and again on my lunch break I rushed out to Timnath Reservoir again. It was a fairly slow day out there with very few ducks and geese on the open water. The passerines were for the most part slow also. The best part of the day was the last bird I saw. As I was driving back towards work on County Line Road I found and photographed a Northern Shrike (89) at the outlet of Timnath Reservoir.
                                                                Northern Shrike

It was a great day to be a birder with seeing the second Snowy Owl I have ever seen and two more Larimer County year birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment