Thursday, April 5, 2012

Estes: Woodpeckers, Owls, and Flycatchers 4/4

Cheri Orwig and I met up with Scott Rashid in Estes. At Scott's house we were able to see Cassin's Finch, Pine Siskin, Evening Grosbeak, among others. The biggest miss we had was a Brown-capped Rosy-Finch that Scott saw before we arrived.
We then headed to private property to try to find Northern Pygmy-Owl that Scott has been watching. While looking we started hearing one call quietly. We quickly located the female and got to a good angle for photographs. After about 15 minutes in the location we saw an American Robin and the male Northern Pygmy-Owl arrive at the same time at the top of the tree. About 5 minutes later the female flew a short distance and then when we looked back up for the male he was gone also. We then had to go to a different location to get photos of the female again. This time a flock of bright American Goldfinches was in the area. We stood here for about 15 minutes before we decided to leave.
                                            Northern Pygmy-Owl female

                                            Northern Pygmy-Owl male

                                             Northern Pygmy-Owl female

                                             Northern Pygmy-Owl female

                                              Northern Pygmy-Owl female

We then went back up to a house that Scott knows that we got Evening Grosbeaks at earlier in the year. This time we were hoping to get the Pine Grosbeaks that has been visiting. The home owner said that they are always there, but after a good try we gave up empty handed. This was the only bird we missed that we tried for.
We then took the drive up to Lily Lake to try to find woodpeckers. We saw quite a few birds, but the only woodpeckers we were able to find were Northern Flickers.
This time we decided to take the drive up to the park to try for the same woodpeckers. Just after we got into Rocky Mountain National Park a female Wild Turkey with a beard walked across the road. We jumped out with our cameras in hand to find a male strutting. We stayed and watched it for about 15 minutes and got some exciting photographs.
                                                        Wild Turkey

                                                        Wild Turkey

                                                        Wild Turkey

When we got to Endovalley we jumped out of the car all excited. While walking down the road Scott told me to look up and as I did he told me I was standing directly under a Great Horned Owl nest. Unfortunately the tree is so thick that we couldn't see any of the birds. All of a sudden we heard the call of the Williamson's Sapsucker (163). We went to where we heard it from, then we heard it from behind us, so I decided to try to go back to locate it. Scott continued in the woodpecker trail he was on. About 30 seconds later I heard Scott whistle and went hurrying over there. When I got to him I noticed he had just found a male American Three-toed Woodpecker (164). I took about 20 pictures of the bird and the battery on me camera went dead. So, after watching it a few more minutes I heard a call that sounded like a Red-naped Sapsucker. I hurried over to where I heard it from and there it was, a male Red-naped Sapsucker (165). It quickly flew off. We then started hearing another woodpecker drumming and this time we found a male Hairy Woodpecker. I was able to get one picture before my camera went dead again. When we were getting back to our cars I caught a glimpse of a small brown bird in flight that was giving a tew - tew call, I also thought I saw some white in the wing. The call also reminded me of a White-winged Crossbill. After I got home and listened to tape I realized it was insdeed a female type White-winged Crossbill (166). Unfortunately there were no cones on the trees, so it was presumably just moving through. While driving out towards the main road Cheri and I saw a very interesting bird quickly run across the road a ways in front of us. From the brief look I had of it the only birds it could have been was either a quail or a rail. While searching for it we heard yet another Williamson's Sapsucker start calling. We hurried over to where we heard it call and found a male flying around to different trees.
                                         American Three-toed Woodpecker

                                                   Hairy Woodpecker

On our way into the park I had gotten a call from Gary Mathews that an Eastern Phoebe was found at Lake Estes, but then we got out of reception range. So, on our way out Scott called Gary asking where the bird was found and hurried over to the lake. When we got out I quickly found an American Pipit. We saw where all the birders were standing and went over there. They said the bird had just disappeared. At that point in time I saw my first 'Audubon's' Yellow-rumped Warbler of the season for year bird 167. Scott and I decided to walk a little ways down the trail to look for the phoebe and I quickly spotted the Eastern Phoebe for the first one of the day.
When I got home I quickly charged my camera and headed over to the Big Thompson Bike Trail with my brother to try to find a unidentified flycatcher that Elaine Coley reported to my from earlier in the day. When we got to the location we had it in we quickly saw the male Eastern Phoebe that has been hanging out for nearly four weeks. Then we saw another bird come flying in, this time it was a female Eastern Phoebe for my third Eastern Phoebe of the day. Perhaps they will attempt to breed at this location. In the area other birds of interest we found were 2 White-crowned Sparrows, 1 Savannah Sparrow, 2 White-breasted Nuthatch, and 1 Downy Woodpecker.
                                                  Eastern Phoebe

                                                   Eastern Phoebe

                                                    Eastern Phoebe

                                                     Eastern Phoebe

                                                      Eastern Phoebe

                                                      American Robin

In the evening I made a quick stop with a friend to the Grandview Cemetery to see the Great Horned Owl nest. Here we saw the female and a youngster watching us.
On my way back home just before it got dark I was able to make two quick stops. The first was at Lake Loveland where there weren't many species on the lake but I found 22 Horned Grebes and 115 Franklin's Gulls. The last stop was at Boedecker Reservoir and here with a handful of usual diving and dabbling ducks I saw a female Hooded Merganser.

No comments:

Post a Comment