Sunday, April 8, 2012

More Larimer County Year Birds 4/8

Yesterday on my lunch break I saw close to 40 species at Timnath Reservoir. The only year bird I saw was a couple Bank Swallows (169) flying with a small flock of Cliff Swallows.
Today on my way to work I decided to go to Fossil Creek Reservoir. On my way I saw a Prairie Falcon along Highway 402 between Wilson Ave and CR 21. Fossil Creek was loaded with birds. While pulling into the parking lot I spotted a flock of swallows which included both Tree Swallows and Barn Swallows. Today was my first day this year when I saw 5 species of grebes at one location. These included Eared, Horned, Pied-billed, Western, and a single Clark's (170). There were quite a few Franklin's Gulls with a single Bonaparte's Gulls. At one point a Ring-necked Pheasant started calling. 
My last stop before I got to work was at Kechter Pit. Although there was poor lighting I still was able to find 2 American Avocets, 3 Greater Yellowlegs, and 1 Lesser Yellowlegs. The only other birds of interest was several flyover Tree Swallows. 
A Timnath Reservoir lunch break included 38 species of birds. Lots of Franklin's and Bonaparte's Gulls continue as does a 3rd year Lesser Black-backed Gull. There was nothing new, but several species still continue. These include a pair of Canvasback, lots of Western Grebes, a single Greater Scaup, double digits of Red-breasted Mergansers, and some Great-tailed Grackles.  
After work I went back to Kechter Pit. Although I didn't see any new species that I didn't see in the morning I did end up seeing 13 Hooded Mergansers. All the shorebirds I mentioned earlier was still present. 
The lost stop before it got to dark was at Duck Lake. The Trumpeter Swan I found on March 21 continues. Present was all three teal in good numbers. The best bird was 2 Black-necked Stilts (171) on the south side of the lake, which according to ebird this was the earliest reported in Larimer County. Other shorebirds present was good numbers of Killdeer and Greater Yellowlegs was around the lake. 
The last bird I saw today was a Great Horned Owl sitting on a power pole on the north side of Horseshoe Lake.

4 comments:

  1. Do you mind if I ask how you access Timnath to see such great birds? I've tried birding at Timnath Res a number of times now and I don't feel like I've ever quite gotten the access I'm hoping for. I know that along Hwy 13 to the east there's access to a couple ponds, some marshy habitat, and one edge of the reservoir, and from the partially developed neighborhood a little bit more of the reservoir can be seen, but I'm still not sure I've ever found a spot where I could see enough water to host as many birds as you've seen! I also tried accessing it from the west, going past Timnath cemetery, but eventually you get to a broken down bridge, a gate, and a no trespassing sign, all of which halted my progress. I'd love to hear more about where you go when you bird Timnath Res!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a park that opened up a few years ago on the southwest side of the reservoir. To get there from Timnath you go east on E CR 40 from S CR 5 (town of Timnath)then about a mile down the road there is a dirt road going north at the top of the hill. At this road there is a sign that talks about the Timnath Reservoir rules. Follow this road to the end and you can park and scan the reservoir.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I made it there today, saw my FOY Barrow's Goldeneye!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the Barrow's Goldeneye!! It's been a few days since I have seen any there.

    ReplyDelete