Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Timnath Area 4/3

This morning I let my dogs outside and spotted a small sparrow. I chased this Savannah Sparrow around and got some good photos. The first one I saw this year was yesterday (4/2) at Lon Hagler Reservoir (159).
                                                   Savannah Sparrow

                                                   Savannah Sparrow

On my way to work I made several stops. Driving by the osprey nest on Namaqua Road the 2 Osprey was still there and appears they are attempting to nest right next to the road. At Lake Loveland I found 23 Franklin's Gulls and 5 Tree Swallows. There were lots of gulls at Horseshoe, but couldn't find anything of interest. 
I then met up with Cade Cropper at Timnath Reservoir. After scanning the SW end we then went over to the NE side. On the way we saw a male Yellow-headed Blackbird. From the NE we found lots of good birds. From this location we saw about 80 Franklin's Gulls and a single Bonaparte's Gull (160). We then heard a Ring-necked Pheasant call and watched 6 American White Pelicans circling around. There were hundreds of Double-crested Cormorants in the trees and on their nests. We then started to see swallows flying around. Most of what I identified was Tree Swallows. I then saw a couple Barn Swallows (161) flying around with them and then finally we saw a single Cliff Swallow (162) flying around also. According to ebird this is the earliest Cliff Swallow seen in Larimer County by about a week. All in all we saw 37 species at the lake and still missed several birds that have around all week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment