Sunday, April 22, 2012

Horrible Day, Good Birds 4/21

Early in the morning I got a phone call from my parents to find out my Grandpa had passed away. What a horrible way to start a day.
I decided to still go on Connie Kogler's bird walk that she was leading and found out that 40 people had showed up to this event. We saw quite a few species with the best being a Sharp-shinned Hawk, Peregrine Falcan, and Sage Thrasher (196). I also heard a bird sing once when I was behind the group down by the river that sounded very good for a Hooded Warbler, but a search after the field trip didn't turn one up.
                                               Brown-headed Cowbird

                                                      Sage Thrasher

I then made a quick stop at Duck Lake, Fossil Creek Marsh, and Kechter Pit on my way to work. At Duck Lake the highlights were 7 Black-necked Stilts, 7 American Avocets, and 5 Greater Yellowlegs. Fossil Creek Marsh had 16 American Avocets and 1 Greater Yellowlegs. The last stop, which was Kechter Pit, had 4 American Avocets and 1 Least Sandpiper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment