Sunday, April 22, 2012

A quick mountain trip plus all 3 bluebirds 4/22

I went with my dad up to Storm Mountain to let one of my Grandpa's friends the horrible news that Grandpa had passed away. Didn't really do any birding, but kept an eye out while driving and made several stops to identify some birds. Some of the more interesting species were Mountain Bluebirds, Western Bluebirds, Vesper Sparrows, Tree Swallows, Violet-green Swallows, Red-breasted Nuthatch, and Loggerhead Shrike.
                                                       Tree Swallow

                                                  Violet-green Swallow

                                                  Violet-green Swallow

Just before we got to the mouth of the Big Thompson Canyon I noticed 2 White-throated Swifts (197) flying around, so we found a pulloff and stopped. I was able to find 2 Violet-green Swallows and 4 White-throated Swifts in total. I was surprised that we didn't hear any wrens. We were getting close to getting home while driving on 1st Street just west of CR 23E and I noticed 2 bluebirds sitting on the telephone wires. We turned around and I took photos of the Eastern Bluebirds, which makes for a 3 bluebird day in Larimer County, which is a rare feat.
                                                     Eastern Bluebird

Just as it was getting dark I was standing outside of my house and I heard a Common Poorwill (198) calling in the distance. This is the 4th time I have heard them at my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment