Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Worm-eating Warbler 4/18

This morning I decided to take a walk along the Big Thompson River starting at the Wilson bridge. Along the trail I saw over 50 Yellow-rumped Warblers, with most being the 'Myrtle' subspecies. After I was there for about 15 minutes I ran into Elaine Coley who told me she had just seen a bird she has never seen before and her thoughts on the bird was Worm-eating Warbler. This immediately got me thinking about a bird I heard in the same area 2 days ago and it was probably a Worm-eating, but their song is similar to Chipping Sparrows and a few other species. After a while of looking and running in to Kennith Lane I decided it would be a good idea to play the tape. We played the song for a little while with nothing happening, so I changed to its call. This brought in a bunch of birds with the majority being Yellow-rumped Warblers. I then decided to go back to the song. After playing it for 30 seconds or so I heard the identical song responding back to the tape. Unfortunately I didn't see it, but I heard a Worm-eating Warbler (188) and I will try for it on Friday to try for photographs. Both Eastern Phoebes were in the same area they have been in. A few other birds of interest was Sharp-shinned Hawk and Savannah Sparrow.
I then went to the Cattail Pond area. Nothing of interest was on any of the bodies of water in the area, but there was a large number of swallows flying around Bud Mielke Resevoir. I started looking at all the birds sitting on the wire. Most of the swallows were Tree Swallows, but with them were a handful of Barn Swallows and 2 Northern Rough-winged Swallow (189) and perhaps more species were around, but I didn't see any. Then just down the road I got some great photos of a Swainson's Hawk sitting on a road sign.
Before work I met up with Cade Cropper looking for the Worm-eating Warbler. We never found it, but again saw the Eastern Phoebes. The Solitary Sandpiper had also returned to the same spot where I found it yesterday.
I then went to Duck Lake looking for more shorebirds. I was able to find 9 (yes, 9) Black-necked Stilts, 9 American Avocets, 6 Greater Yellowlegs, and 3 Killdeer. I also got great looks at very close Blue-winged Teal.
A quick stop at Kechter Pit didn't produce much of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment